Thursday, July 15, 2010

Facebook Matters & Children too

I was cutting the grass today and I had so many thoughts and rants I don't know where to begin. (Rants is probably not the appropriate verbiage?)

Facebook words matter?
I have a Facebook account and because of such have the great privilege of reading all of the random thoughts, actions and opinions of people: I once knew, currently spend time with, family members and that random guy/girl from high school I wish I knew but didn't really know. I consider Facebook to be a great opportunity for reconnection, reconciliation (if applicable) and long-distance friendship maintenance, but (you knew it was coming- right?), I also find myself convicted of being a busy-body.

Yesterday, I was having conversation with family member and I found myself asking questions based on Facebook comments vs. actual intimacy /facts of a situation. Isn't that terrible?!!! This is why I peridodically fast from the great technological news feed of Facebook. Sometimes too, I feel like maybe there is this great big computer giant in D.C monitoring all of my information and to be quite frank, I am a little on the outside of mainstream politics, so that frightens me too. In fact, it's highly likely they review my blogs too (such a conspiracy)! Ah, don't get me started...

My point of this subject is that 'facebook words do really matter!' You think nothing of it and then, oops, there it is in conversation with someone else! Just like that- judgement placed and assumed on another :O(. How can we teach our children to 'not pass judgement' or 'be meek' if we ourselves don't put it to practice? I have had so many wonderful reconnections through the virtual porthole and I have had at least (1)chance to say I am sorry to someone I never meant to hurt. This outlet has been more than a gift for me but I am beginning to wonder if the conviction of knowing other's business and juding their 'status updates' is far heavier than the desire to 'be in the know?'

This kind of makes me sad, again. To reconsider a disconnect of all that 'appears' to be 'normal'--that's never an easy choice. Who doesn't want to be 'normal?' Well, I am but a pilgrim here on earth- I should be okay with being outside mainstream (I am in most other areas anyway).

I have to say though, if I think of my daugher wanting to own her own account and post her words/thoughts and opinions there--then have someone judge them or critique them, intimidate her because of them, or worse discuss and make assumptions based on them---I cringe.

So says the wisdom 'practice what you preach' - ey, mom? Well, it's on my heart to change, Lord help me find a way (in Jesus Name, amen).

...next on the mind came a subject that somewhat ties into the thoughts above...

Examples in Life--Parents & the Word

Throughout the Bible there numerous examples and excerpts written for our instruction. My Pastor often says 'the Bible is an instruction book for the saved, those unsaved have (1) instruction- repent.' Anyway, back to topic- Jesus is the greatest example of character that exists. Considering that Jesus is best example of how to live, I would have to put myself in the lower categories of the grade scale. I am not perfect, but, I do strive to be like Christ and I think that at least places me onto the grade scale- despite the low score, right? Jesus lived in obedience and unity with the Father and therefore acted like the Father, right? So, I have to know how so many parents don't understand that EVERYTHING they allow and do will be acted upon by their children?

As a parent, you would like to think that the word spoken is sufficient enough for obedience and impact, right? Well, I think any parent can tell you that while they often have to repeat their directives daily and more than once, children tend to be a walking mirror of the parentel actions/personality. Doesn't every parent know this?

For example, the Lord has been working on my need to control all things Olivia (this stems from fear and my lack of faith in God to take care of her fully). I usually bark too much and play not enough (praise You Lord for your faithfulness to deliver me) and this will oftentimes cause strife between the two of us. We have made tremendous progress in this area, but, it's still a personality trait of mine that needs work. When watching Olivia amongst friends/cousins, I find that she prefers to bark a little more than some others. This is a mirror image of what she has seen and experienced first hand, right? Simple equation, one would think....?

It is so suprising then-to think that it's not a wisdom utilized by ALL parents. Could it be that the worldly wisdom does not include this in it's aresenal? Really? Well, I guess not. Have you experienced a tragic teenage story? Do you know a child that suffers from addiction, disrespect or self-loathing? I do. I have heard many!

If I say to Olivia- 'don't use drugs' and then use them- what do you think she is going to do? The world promotes it, then I do it and then we both try to tell her 'nah, it's not for kids to partake.' Or, 'you can't partake, you have the addictive gene!' How in the world does this make sense? If you add to this the fact that EVERYTHING is a spiritual battle and someone is fighting for the rights to your soul and you childs it's even more impactful! What do people think that 'role model'- 'provider' - 'responsible party' means? EVERY choice we make matters! I am not saying what is right or what is wrong- the Word will detail that out for us. I am asking: how can we produce a wise generation of Christ-followers if we ourselves aren't adhering to the basic reap/sow principle with our daily life being watched by our said generation?

Listen, I am guilty of doing all sorts of imperfect and wrong things in front of my daughter. Drinking and smoking, these were just a few of the externals that God mercifully delievered me from first. There are SOOOO MANNYYY more internal heart conditions too, being worked out. Bless you Lord. My point is, if we have a child or children, don't you think it's our duty to be the BEST example of our Saviour that we can possibly be? This isn't to say that 'works' within ourselves is going to actually be able to produce such. However, reliance and dependance upon Him to fulfill these qualities (as well as make up for them where we fall short) would definitely seem to me to be the most obvious wisdom a parent could use, right? Well, that's my prayer anyway (in Jesus Name).

In Christ, we have been gifted with grace and mercy. We are provided a set of rules, stories upon stories of God's wretched people and how He delivered them out of all their bondage! We are given precept upon precept on how God intends for us to live, honor our parents, spouses, raise our children, love our brethren and die to self.

All of these great portraits of the impossible being fulfilled and still, as parents, we fail to consider that EVERYTHING we do/say/teach/expose to our children MATTERS and has tremendous impact on how they will react/respond/treat and choose in life. How can people just pretend that what God says about life doesn't matter? How is it even possible to raise a child today and not lean upon the Lord entirely for their salvation and soul prosperity and deliverance? I don't know that I do this all myself, but, I must know, how does ANYONE do ANY of it without HIM?

Lord, have mercy upon us...me especially, as I learn that everything I choose is a choice that will glorify you or crucify you. Teach me to teach Olivia and I pray for those parents who are lost ...to be found. In Jesus Name, amen.

...and this is the randomness that is me...


In His Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment