Thursday, June 10, 2010

Thirty-two vs. Nine

As most of you know, I am at home most every day with my nine-year old. We have been fortuante enough to get out to the pool twice in the last two weeks and typically O has some neighborhood friends to play with. Yesteday though, it was just us. I am not sure how long it's been since I've played games like this, but, at her bequest, we played "Hide go and seek" (as she says) and Grocery store. It was extremely funny and more the point of this blog, challenging.

How is it in all my years of being a child, I cannot easily jump right back into it as an adult? I enjoyed the games, but, I found myself easily bored with it and despite how creative I attempted to be--O was not entirely amused. Hide go and seek came without a need of invention, but, loading up groceries from the pantry and checking out, required a bit of creative thinking. While checking out or ringing up her sale, I would say things like:

"So Miss, do you have any children?"
to which O would respond: "I'm a teenager."

"Oh, so do you go to high school?"
"Yes"

"Are you ready for summer?"
"Yes"

Role reverses here:
"So Miss, are you shopping for your children"
"MOOOOMMMM, I am a teenager!!!"

"Oh," I said. And, my basic questions would be asked again. I do have to say, that I purchased a dilapitated microphone and busted out with a song "Psalm 25" - which was met with a roll of the eyes and held back smile. I sang loud. I sang with a smile. I sang to make her laugh. O just looked at me like I was crazy. I even danced a bit. It was funny (I am my best customer,haha).

Each game lasted about 20 minutes. This was about all I could take of it. Is that wrong? I don't know. I felt bad. Why could I not just continue on in the fun for a longer period of time? She certainly wanted me to...? Am I too old to go back that far in age, really? I want to. I want to be a young thirty-two (almost thirty-three). I guess I should pray about it. A friend of mine often says that I am the oldest young person she knows--that is sad, isn't it? I don't consider myself "old" and I know how to laugh, be witty and break out with song/dance when needed; I suppose I just need to seek out some wisdom from my Heavenly Father?

Anyway, today is a new day. We have cousins over to play today and that's a plus for O and for mommy- who knows what kind of games today would have had in store for me?

My goal this summer will be to learn how to be less 'old' and enjoy the 'youth' that God has so kindly allowed me to particpate in! What a great gift!

In His Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment