Thursday, April 29, 2010

Daddy's home! Where is the kale?

First off, praise God for this awesome spring day in Georgia! I love where I live and live where I love! Hmmmm...you catch my drift?

I cannot find much to mumble or complain about. It's sunny, 79 and daddy is home from work! A vacation day (yeah right)! He's been outside working his tail off ALL DAY LONG. If cutting down pines with a chainsaw on a day off is vacation, well-you can have it! Seriously though, he does what he loves. I have to say that one of the benefits of homeschooling is that he and Olivia were able to spend boatloads of time together this morning. She was so excited at the thought of the principal watching her work today.

"Daddy, will you watch me take my practice test?"
"Yes baby, sure."
"Daddy, will you call out my spelling words to me?"
"Yes darling, sure."
"Daddy, watch me do my social studies..."
(daddy sits beside her at the table, reading his Bible as she works)
"Daddy, did you know..."
"Olivia, it's time to get to work now..."
(daddy leaves the room, Olivia rises out of seat and hunts him down)
"Daddy did you know..."
"Olivia, I know you're excited but it's time to get to work..."
"Daddy, I just wanted you to watch me..."
"Olivia, I need to blah,blah..."
"Daddy, did you know..."

(Meantime, mom is cleaning toilets with the biggest smile in the world on her face. Really! It was too funny to listen to all the commotion...I enjoyed it, despite my chores).

This went on for the better part of her school day but, we managed to get through it and make 100 on our Spelling test and nearly 100 on both practice CAT tests. It was nice to experience how exciting it was for Olivia to have her dad here with her; it was nice to have the opportunity to do it too! Praise God for the ability to homeschool my child!

Onto the kale. Do you know where it might be? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :o)~

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up the Rachel Ray magazine to compile some new recipes for my family. I shop weekly and thought I would spice it up a bit by adding something 'different.' We are all creatures of habit in this house- but when it comes to food- that's an understatement. There are some benefits to having a very regulated appetite: my workload doesn't change much in the kitchen, I know the family is always pleased with dinner (among others) and my grocery list doesn't vary much.

Now, all this said, my 'idea' started to get a little prickly when one of the menu options called for 'kale.' I am no dingbat- I knew 'kale' was a green and that it likely belonged to the lettuce family. The problem I encountered was that my habitual shopping center did not carry it, as far as I knew. This would mean that I was going to have to drop in 'where shopping is a pleasure' and pick some up. A problem? Not really. Onto my next list of items needed for Wednesdays meal and I see: Swiss Chard. Great! Another green that my 'low, low price' supercenter wasn't going to carry. Okay, I can just add to the list for the other store. It is at this point that the convenience of my simple little life is getting a bit more complicated.

I am not only serving greens to a family whose green palette is that of green beans & broccoli, but now, I have to stop at the 'pleasurable high end' grocery to obtain it. Needless to say, that Friday's shopping went without the purchase of such. I purchased everything else, except those items.

Week 2- I begin my list and add these two 'wonderfully efficient' thirty minute meals to it and again, fail to get the greens I need. It's Thursday (1 day before my next shopping trip) and I decided today to finally get to the 'other store.' In all of its glory the produce aisle sat. I felt so much like it was wooing me; all the pretty fruits and veggies spread and stacked so neatly. The pretty, clean aisles leading up to the green section. The sprinkler spraying ever so softly. To my expectancy, there was not a wilted green on display. As is the norm for this store, everything was 'pleasantly appealing'with as much room to move, view and smell as one might need in this department. Alas, after quick review of all the available greens...KALE was MIA! The Swiss Chards were there, beautifully stacked with their complimentary red/green colors, but, no KALE! So...I bought lettuce. That's right, I said 'lettuce.' We'll see what a difference a green makes! As for the needed swiss chard, I made the meal this week with some bagged lettuce. It was just as good, well...at least I think so.

I learned three very important lessons today: (1). Change is good, even if it means you have to go visit the upper class grocery store only to be disappointed (it is, after all, a definite pleasure). (2).green lettuce will work with Bacon/Kale soup, as well as, Teriyaki Sloppy Joe. (3). I love having daddy home on school days!

Hope you're having an awesome day! Be blessed!

In His love

No comments:

Post a Comment