Friday, January 14, 2011

Sarah and then some...

One day this week (not sure as they are running together), my devotional consisted of the story of Abram & Sarai- where Abram asked Sarai to lie to Pharoh to protect their lives.  He requested that she tell the Pharoh that she was his sister and not his wife.  The Bible does not say that Sarai responded with any verbiage or mannerisms; she just did what he asked.  I, of course, would have pointed out that it was a lie and we would suffer greatly if we did it his way!

The story goes on to say that the Lord brought plagues down upon Pharoah and his people and subsequently the two were released.  I was so convicted!  I always have something to say in response to my husband's requests--especially if I have a 'self-righteous' reason to do so ;o).  The examples of humility and obedience are A-MAZING to me.  I hope one day to achieve the same kind of reverence for both my Lord and my husband, you know?  I know it would be beneficial to Olivia if I were to speak/respond less and just quietly pray for God's will in situations where I disagree or don't understand.

Does anyone else struggle with this?

Obviously, this week we had a ton of play time (see last post).  We started back to it yesterday; it was (as usual) an adjustment.    Over the "snow holiday" - we managed to invite some neighbors over for chili.  We have been neighbors for at least (5) years and our children play together often but we've never managed to get all of us under (1) roof for fellowship?!   We had managed two pots of coffee before dinner- so I rambled and talked and talked and talked...I am certain the neighbor was beyond tired of listening to me.  Somewhere there must be a 'cease talking' button inside my brain that is broken? 

My husband often quips "you don't have to tell everyone your life story when you meet."  (Really? I think to myself).  How do you get to know someone if all you are doing is talking about the weather?  The childrens' schooling?  The Bulldogs/Falcons/Braves?  Really?  I am the one who likes to find the 'common thread' that will determine whether or not we are like-minded.  Is that wrong?  I am not judgemental and I will hang with just about anyone- anytime--but I want to know if there is an opportunity for close community with others, always.  (See, here I go...challenging my husbands widsom)!  No seriously, I suppose he is right and that there are times when I should just talk about the weather...and I am quite good at that too.  I am more comfortable though...getting to the 'heart of the matter' and realize that in doing so...I often drive people away.  My prayer is that the neighbors enjoyed our time together and that my 'familiarizing' did not open a divide ;o).  Oh well, some of our greatest weaknesses are our greatest strengths...(not sure who coined that phrase, but I believe it).

Another 'first' over the 'snow-break' was Olivia riding a four-wheeler.  She had so much fun!  Her father said that he practically had to force her onto the thing and at first it was like this "Daddy, slow down..." and in minutes it was "Daddy- go faster!!!!"  Our other neighbor and his wife have two of these and genrously allowed Jarrod & Olivia to ride a few times.  I can imagine in the snow it was so much fun!  Olivia talked about it for two days!

It's been a fun week to say the least!  Lots of firsts and tons of time to devote to God and family.  It was a great treat to have my husband home for so long!  It's been good for us all to focus on play instead of the everyday chores.  My washer has been out of service this week and it's been hard--but Jarrod swiftly reminded me that if it were working properly, I likely would not have enjoyed the freedom to play and be silly over the last few days.  He's so smart...and typically right; maybe one day I will be more like Sarah and just listen...?

In His Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment