Thursday, January 6, 2011

Epiphany

epiphany: capitalized : January 6 observed as a church festival in commemoration of the coming of the Magi as the first manifestation of Christ to the Gentiles or in the Eastern Church in commemoration of the baptism of Christ
2: an appearance or manifestation especially of a divine being
3a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery, realization, or disclosure b : a revealing scene or moment


It never ceases to amaze me how much history I do not know! I never really knew that people actually celebrated this date in commemoration of anything having to do with Jesus. How awful is that? Last night, my mother was telling me the story of a Colombian woman we know who has celebrated this date all of her life. "M" (we will call her), fondly recalled 'waking up to a shoe filled with a stocking and prizes inside of it." I believe this was in honor of the gift that is the Messiah (of course) and a recreation of the gift-giving ceremony (or effort) performed by the Magi. What a great way to remember the birth of Jesus, right? I think so. (Note to self for 2011- learn more history! I am so self- involved, you know?)

Speaking of 'epiphany'- I have them often. Last night as I was lying the bed considering this 'holiday' of sorts; I had an epiphany of my own (see #3 in the definition).

My daughter will be into the double digits in four short months! Look at her:

AHHHHH! This is so amazing to me- a decade of her life has passed. With it has come so much change in the world as a whole and in her own little world: 9/11 & war(s) on terror, cell phone mania, social networking, economic crisis, a female Speaker of the House and the first ever African-American President! A "tea-party" and mega churches; flex-fuel/hybrid vehicles and $3.00 per gallon gasoline. Video streaming, music downloads and Blu-Ray! A stay at home, knitting, sewing, writing, (and most important)--Jesus loving, sober mother and an amazingly patient and God-fearing father! Public school, Christian school and now homeschool; the life changing experience(s) of watching a BFF move to another state and separation of life-long spiritual connections and friendships. A love of horse-riding and an understanding of how to build and establish new friendships!




It's been quite a decade for her and for us--amazing!

These thoughts were followed by the reality that 'adult' age is not too far away from now-today-this moment! Considering how quickly this decade has passed--adulthood and leaving me is only a 'blink' away! This is overwhelming, if you think about it, right? Hmmm...well, for me it is. Olivia's birth, toddler years, pre-schooling days and kindergarten feel like yesterday...but they were years ago!

In the coming months and years, I pray that God will give me the ability to appreciate every moment. When Olivia asks me to sing her a song before bed, I pray to overcome my 'need' to have 'me time' and just do it! I pray that in the midst of our 'battle for leadership' (during school and dinner time) - I am reminded that she comes by it honestly and through no fault of her own, necessarily. I pray that I will be the older wiser one and just respond with a 'soft answer' that turns away wrath. I pray that as we move into what some consider the 'most difficult years of child -rearing' that it not be so for us; that our individual relationships with the Lord will allow us the opportunity, fortitude and grace needed to overcome ourselves and the faults of one another. I pray to not take for granted this amazing gift and opportunity in my life.

I pray for her days to come! I pray for her future husband, her paths to be straight and her soul to be fixed upon the Lord. I pray for her spiritual health, peace and stability. I pray for the Lord to hold her in the palm of His hands, directing her paths and protecting her heart, always. I pray for her to continually choose to serve God and to sway neither from the left nor the right; but to remain in forward motion, running the race. I pray for the impossible, intangible, Kingdom gifts to be poured out and established in her life over the next decade and until Christ's return. I pray all of these things in the name of our Lord Jesus (amen).

"Epiphany" - another great day to celebrate our Lord. "epiphany" -another great day to celebrate our Lord. Either way- it's about the Lord, again. How great is He...

Col 3:23:
And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;


In His Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment