I looked at my calendar today and my last blog post and I have to say- "it's been a while!" I thought maybe I should recap the days 'observed.'
My last post topic was somewhat elusive, I suppose...? My husband was laid off that week and as the good Lord would have it- offered a job the Tuesday prior. To explain all the fuss would take far too long, so, the gist of it is that he accepted the offer and works daily, happily, unto the Lord. It's a perfect fit, as it should be, since the Lord chose it for him. We praise God daily for this provision...I praise Him for all provision, really. It's week 2 of his new job and there have been some adjustments: later dinners, absolutely no vehicle for me & O to get out and about, a smiling husband whose less stressed and the ability for him to be at home with us during the weekend. I'd say, all in all, things in this area are beyond great! In an economy and nation where unemployment is tremendous and finding a job once laid off is minimal- our 'limbo' was ridiculously minor and of course, our GOD, GREAT!
Did I say 'no car?' Yup. Last week, I gave praise to God for the trial. This one has taught me a great deal about my priorities, my contentment, my 'needs' verses 'wants.' We have two vehicles and one has been in the shop since November (yes, of 2009). Prior to the job change, this wasn't a large inconvenience, as J worked about 25 minutes from home and we could drop him in the a.m. and pick him up end of business. However, J works an hour (+) from the house now and driving him in is not really an option. I don't think it really occurred to me how 'stationary' I was going to be until that first day.
It was our official start to summer (as Homeschool just ended) and O lay on the couch watching cartoons. About an hour in it occurred to me 'holy man, I am here all day and we have to find some things to do!!!!' I panicked. I am not kidding. All day long, no where to run, no place to hide, an only child with friends still in school and all the besties I have 45 minutes away, if not working! It's one thing to be at home all day with your child schooling for four hours; another to be at home all day with the ability to run to Walmart, or to a friends, or even to the library...but...to be at home ALL DAY LONG?! How was I going to manage this?!!
I am not going to lie, I was overwhelmed at first. Now, I know you must be sitting here reading this thinking: 'why would a stay at home mother be overwhelmed by this idea?' My response to this question is still being worked out within my soul and what wisdom I have gained is quite lengthy. Are you sure you want to know the answer? OK.
As is par for the course in my walk with the Lord, I am oftentimes put into a circumstance or position (my Pastor would call this 'burning barley fields') to learn something about myself spiritually. It would be my guess that this is because I can be a bit stubborn to learn new things, at times. The 'no car' circumstance is one of those times for me. The truth of this matter for me (not for the reader, necessarily) is that I have to learn to be content with the 'little' world I am in and recognize just HOW TRULY ABUNDANT life is here in my home, with my child, day in and day out. It's spiritual for me:
Let your conversation be without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee (Heb 13:5).
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.(1Ti 6:8).
This time, lesson, trial, whatever you wish to call it, has been great for me and I believe for O. I thank God for it and until He sees fit to return our car, I will praise Him and lean upon Him to find my gratitude, peace and contentment.
Lessons noted (to date): I have had to learn to fill our time with purposeful and fulfilling moments. I have had to develop a desire to entertain on her level. I have had to be okay with not keeping up with everyone in my life, running to them to assist or to desist myself. I have had to learn to appreciate the 'relational' part of myself and O. I have had to re prioritize what is 'really' important in our lives and mentally (spiritually) grasp how tremendous a treasure and opportunity like this is and how close to missing out on these years of her life I could have once been!
Not all mothers have this opportunity! In my natural, without the Lord Jesus, I would have just let it go too! With my car, I would have filled my time running errands, making play dates, going to the pool, etc. Until this year, I had no understanding just how much time recreation and errands could take up in a day. Our time was easily passed riding in a car, especially if you live in the country like we do! I managed to live O's nine years alive without noticing some precious, beautiful personality traits and preferences like I do now; without stopping to smell the roses so to speak. It's been a beautiful time for us! I often hear this from my pastor "it's either a lesson or a blessin' that you're walking in." This for me- has turned out to be both!
Well, I think that covers May in a nutshell! Learning to be content. Attempting to implement and teach kingdom priority and principles. Sitting still- smelling the fresh aroma of this thing I call my life :o)!
In His love,
No comments:
Post a Comment