I am officially age thirty-three and the day came and went in true "Phillips" fashion. I was fed breakfast in bed, exercised with one my favorite siblings, presented a birthday cake from Daddy & O (first time baking together for both) and finished up with a burger from Five Guys and the spectacular Stone Mountain Laser show:
My baby & her daddy:
N'er a serious photo for this little girl:
My man and me:
Perfect background, right?
Uh...really?
In addition to the wonderful gift that is photographed above (my family), I was the recipient of two teapots and some loose leaf tea. It has become a new obsession with me and I am truly overwhelmed that all considered my new found hobby this year- it made for a cheaper introduction for me. Thanks!
This would have to be one of the 'best birthdays' ever! I have to say that the older I become and the more in tune with the Lord, the better the days---especially these!
Some other important tid-bits to note: I have a friend whose mother was a large part of my life who has been diagnosed with cancer. Please keep this un-named woman in your prayers. I have completed my first-ever apron! Whoo-hoo! It was gifted to a friend for her birthday (crooked seams and all), so, I do not have pictures of that one. This said, I will be finishing a waist apron this week and will try to post some pics of that project upon completion.
O and I had an opportunity to visit the Atlanta History Museum this week with some homeschooling pals. It was a treat for us both! I believe there is much to be said about understanding our history and familiarizing ourselves with the manual works of yesterday. I truly believe in her generation that we will have to put to use the trades and work ethics of yesterday.
This field trip was a great reminder of what a spoiled and entitled world we live in today (that's a horrible thing to say)! No, seriously though... it was inspiring to me to see what people actually had to do to survive a day, a season and a war- it took strong faith and hard work. I pray to instill these priorities in my own child(ren)- despite the romancing and enticing belief system of the world. This isn't to say I don't live in an 'entitlement' mindset myself- to be clear- I judge no one. In fact, just yesterday evening I fought hard to eat dinner at my preferred hot-wing joint verses my husbands. He was right, I just need to thank God for the opportunity to get out on a date!---See----totally spoiled and completely entitled in my thought process ;o)~
Since we are on the topic of our heritage though (we are, aren't we?), I thought I should mention a great revelation provided to me via the Word this week:
Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy [is] understanding.
Understanding. We all need some of this, don't you think? I cannot tell you how many times I have heard a sermon, listened to a teaching and lacked the understanding with which to utilize both. This little scripture has BIG meaning to me today and I thank God for revealing it to me: Seek the HOLY ONE and find understanding. Really? Yup, really. It's that simple. I pray that I will put to practice that which He has so mercifully revealed to me.
Which brings me to a little bit of a soapbox issue: Why do you believe what you believe, spiritually speaking, that is...?
It's been two years my husband and I have been sitting underneath this specific Pastor and attending home church. In these two years, everything I've ever known to be true about religion, faith and spirituality has been challenged and some ideals have changed. I am so thankful for the teaching provided and so overwhelmed at how much of it is NOT taught in the churches of America. It saddens me, really. It challenges me too! Sometimes the natural me wins the battle of my mind and says 'you're a crazy lady' and sometimes...I find comfort in knowing that anything contrary to the world means that I am not at emnity with my Creator.
This isn't a statement about whose right or whose wrong, I promise. It's just an inquiry about why you believe what you believe and how you came to believe it?
I never once asked myself how a church leader came to his faith or his ability to teach. I was a just a sheep - looking for a shepard. I never said: 'What were the factors that put him into the pulpit' and 'Did God really require a theological degree to teach people about His ways?' Don't you think I should have? Why would I just follow 'some stranger' down the most important path of my life? Who knows! But, I did, for a very long time and I often question where I am now and whether or not I should be here too. I guess maybe I am too introspective? It doesn't really paralyze me, so to speak, but, it crosses my mind often enough for it to be noted.
I was just curious about you all and what you think...? Let me know (if you're reading).
In His Love,
No comments:
Post a Comment